Monday, April 12, 2010

Medical referral's for Massage Therapy in Fort Worth

I deal with this topic on a pretty regular basis.

"My doctor has prescribed Massage Therapy for a problem I am having." Do you work with stuff like this?

Let me first state that it is required to have a physician's prescription for medical massage therapy if you want your health insurance to cover it.

Your first problem. In the state of Texas Insurance rules are vague enough that insurance companies are not required to cover this service when performed by a massage therapist. You may;however, find a chiropractor or a physical therapist because they are more likely to cover it. It's unfortunate but that is how it is.

If you choose to see me, the way I handle the situation is you first check with your insurance to see if they cover Massage Therapy when performed by a massage therapist. If they do, you pay me out of pocket and I give you the proper paperwork to get reimbursed.

The alternative to health insurance is the Medical Savings Account. You still need a prescription, but most MSA's cover Medical Massage Therapy.

No comments: